Sunday, November 7, 2010

Roast Beef with Cabbage, Squash, and Carrots

So I recently subscribed to the Everyday Food magazine. It's the size of a Reader's Digest, but has some good recipes. They have a section which has a week full of meals. I tried the Roast Beef with Cabbage, Squash and Carrots at Brian's request. While it wasn't my absolute favorite (I thought it was better the next day), Brian, Dalin and Ellie LOVED LOVED it! Which surprised me, since I usually don't serve cooked cabbage and butternut squash, like, ever. So, perhaps your kids might too. Try it out. It's really easy.

Roast Beef with Cabbage, Squash, and Carrots

2 lbs boneless top loin roast (I just used...something, I can't remember, but it was fine)
salt and pepper
1 medium (about 2 lbs) of butternut squash, peeled, halved and sliced 1/2" thick
3 medium carrots, sliced into 3" lengths (I just used baby carrots)
1 small red cabbage (about a pound), cored and cut into wedges
4 sprigs of thyme (you can use dried)
2 Tbs. olive oil

Preheat oven to 425. Season beef with salt and pepper, and place fat side up in a shallow roasting pan. Toss remaining ingredients together, add salt and pepper to taste. Surround beef with vegetables and roast in oven until squash is tender and beef is medium-rare, about 40 minutes. Tent beef loosely with foil for 10 minutes after it's done.

No comments: