Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Whole Roasted Chicken and Vegetables

I got this from Everyday Foods. There are a few others I will be trying out of that magazine and if they pass the "Brian" test, I'll put them up. I used to make whole roasted chicken all the time, but when the rotisserie chicken became so cheap, I stopped. I honestly think I like roasted chicken better. And Brian loved the skin on this chicken because it was so crispy. And it was really easy to make! It's a great fall/winter dish.

A whole chicken, rinsed and patted dry
salt and pepper
fresh thyme and parsley
2 leeks (white and light green parts only, halved lengthwise and then crosswise)
baby carrots
small red potatoes
olive oil
1/2 cup water

Preheat oven to 450. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Stuff with fresh thyme and parsley (I was out of thyme so I just used parsley). If you don't have fresh herbs, you can use dry and mix it with the vegetables instead of in the chicken. Take olive oil and toss with leeks, carrots, and potatoes. Place chicken in roasting pan and arrange veggies around (I just put all the veggies in first, then the chicken breast down on top). Add water. Roast chicken until it's golden brown and juices run clear when pierced between breast and leg, about 1-1/2 hours. Or thickest part of thigh hits 165 (be careful not to hit bone).

No comments: