Monday, April 27, 2009

BBQ Pork - Cafe Rio Style

I'm sure many of you have seen this recipe circulating in one form or another and while I love Cafe Rio, I can't say for certain whether this recipe is in fact authentic or not. No matter, it is very good and I recommend trying it out. It looks complicated but it's really not. In preface, I want to add that I substitute the pork with chicken. I'm not a big pork fan AND sorry for the layout of the recipe. It was given to me this way and I'm just too lazy to rework it.

Pork loin-place in crock pot and cover with water. Cook on high for 5 hours and then drain the water and add sauce.

Sauce:
1 large bottle Pace's Salsa
1.5 cups Apple Juice
1.5-2 cups Brown Sugar


Cook another three hours. Then remove, shred and return to sauce.


Rice:
3 cups water
4 teaspoons chicken bouillon
4 teaspoons minced garlic
1/2 bunch Cilantro
1 can green chilies
1/2 onion, chopped
1 teaspoon cumin
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon butter
2 cups rice


Start a boil and then simmer for 20-30 minutes OR throw all the ingredients into the rice cooker and cook according to rice cooker directions.


Dressing:
1 Buttermilk Ranch Dressing Packet. Make as directed and then mix in...
1/3 jar La Victoria Green Salsa
1/2 bunch Cilantro
1 clove Garlic
1 lime squeezed
Jalapeno, optional


Blend all ingredients in a blender.


Serving: Top a tortilla with pork, rice, black beans, dressing, chopped lettuce, cheese and fried tortilla strips.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hmmm... I am willing to try it. The last "authentic" recipe I got tasted so weird and way off course! This one sounds easy and much more reasonable. Thanks for sharing it!