Thursday, April 23, 2009

Lemon Meringue Pie

Lemons were on sale this week, a quarter a piece, so I bought a bunch in anticipation of making this pie yesterday. I LOVE this pie!! And best of all, Brian loved it and ate half of it last night. Although, maybe that wasn't so good because now I have to make another one.... And once again, I forgot to take a picture, but there are a few slices left, so I'll try to snap a few before they are devoured.

Lemon Meringue Pie
1½ cup sugar
3 Tbs. cornstarch
3 Tbs. flour
Dash salt
1½ cups hot water
3 slightly beaten egg yolks
2 Tbs. butter
½ tsp. lemon peel (I add more when I'm using a fresh lemon)
1/3 cup lemon juice (I also use about half a cup of fresh lemon juice)

In a saucepan mix sugar, cornstarch, flour and salt. Slowly add hot water and bring to boil stirring constantly. Reduce heat and cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in half of the sugar mixture into the beaten egg yolks. Pour all the egg yolks into sugar mixture and bring back to boil, stirring constantly. Cook at boiling for 2 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Pour into pie shell, spread meringue and bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes or until meringue is golden.

Meringue
3 egg whites
½ tsp. vanilla
¼ tsp. cream of tartar
6 Tbs. sugar

Beat egg whites, vanilla and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Slowly add sugar until mixture becomes stiff and glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.


1 comment:

Debbie said...

Thanks Brian for eating my piece! I guess he doesn't owe me anything so there was no incentive to share. I guess I'll just have to make my own...thanks for posting this Jenn!