Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Caribbean Chicken

Brian actually liked this dish and ate several servings (after I toned down the heat). He's not really into chicken or Caribbean flavors...so I'm glad he liked it.

I forgot to take a picture until I was scraping the pan clean...so it doesn't look all pretty (and it's actually the leftovers from the day before), but it's tasty!

Caribbean Chicken

1 teaspoon cornstarch (I didn't have any so I used flour)
1 (6 ounce) can pineapple juice, divided
1 tablespoon prepared mustard
½ teaspoon dried thyme
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (I accidentally added a bit too much, Brian made me make another batch of sauce)
¾ pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin strips (I just used however many breasts I had)
½ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons oil
½ cup thinly sliced green onions
½ cup golden raisins (Brian hates raisins, so I didn't add those-I have no idea if it would have changed the flavor drastically)
2 medium firm bananas, sliced (DO NOT saute them before hand, it makes the dish too sweet and overwhelmingly banana)

In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and 1/2 cup pineapple juice until smooth (I just used all the pineapple juice, it doesn't make a difference since it's all going to thicken up anyway). Stir in the mustard, thyme and red pepper flakes; set aside. Sprinkle chicken with salt. In a large non-stick skillet, saute chicken in oil for 3-4 minutes or until chicken juices run clear. Remove from the skillet and keep warm.

Pour remaining pineapple juice into skillet. Stir in green onions and raisins; cook and stir for 1 minute. Stir reserved pineapple juice mixture and add to skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Return chicken to skillet; heat through. Stir in bananas. Serve over rice if desired.

No comments: