Saturday, March 14, 2009

Chocolate Chip Cheesecake

Tonight I decided I would reorganize my recipe box (since it gets totally rearranged by me and my kids) and I came across my favorite cheesecake recipe. I think I will have to dig out those spring form pans! It has a smooth chocolate layer on top with the chocolate chip filling below and a chocolatey crust. The recipe came from a 2003 Taste of Home magazine, although I have altered it a little.

Chocolate Chip Cheesecake

2 C vanilla wafer crumbs
1/2 C finely chopped walnuts
1/4 C sugar
3 T baking cocoa
1/3 C butter, melted

Filling:
4 pkgs. (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
1 C sugar
4 t cornstarch
4 eggs
1/3 C whipping cream
3 t vanilla extract
1 1/2 C miniature semisweet chocolate chips

Topping:
3 squares (1 oz each) semisweet chocolate, melted
1 T butter, melted
1 C powdered sugar
1/4 C whipping cream

In a bowl, combine the first five ingredients; stir in butter. Press onto the bottom and 1 inch up the sides of a 10 inch springform pan. Refrigerate for 15 minutes,
In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Combine sugar and cornstarch; beat on low speed just until combined. Add the cream, vanilla and chocolate chips,. Pour into prepared crust.
Place pan on a baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 60-65 minutes or until center is nearly set. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosed; cool 1 hour longer. (Cheescake top may crack but topping will cover.)
For topping, combine chocolate, butter and sugar in a mixing bowl. Slowly beat in cream until mixture achieves spreading consistency. Spread over cheesecake. Refrigerate overnight.
Remove sides of pan. Refrigerate leftovers.

No comments: