Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Sausage Barley Soup

Here's a flavorful soup for your crockpot. I love my crockpot. If you don't love yours, you can make this on the stovetop.

1/2 to 1 pound Italian sausage - I used the reduced fat kind and it worked just fine
1 onion, diced
3 cloves minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
6 cups chicken broth or 1 48 oz can chicken broth - I used half broth, half water and bouillon
3 to 4 large carrots, sliced
10 pz. frozen chopped spinach*
1/2 cup uncooked pearl barley**

Cook the sausage, onion, and garlic until the sausage is done. Toss all the ingredients into your crockpot and give it a hug. Cover and cook 4 hours on high or 6 hours on low.

*notes on spinach - I used the frozen leaf kind and it was dripping all over. Make sure you use the chopped. You could also throw fresh chopped spinach in right before serving and it would probably look prettier and taste fresher. I also plan on trying this with chopped kale and will add it right before serving.

**you could substitute a diced potato or two for the barley. I think cheese tortellini would also taste great with this soup. I'd cook it separately and add it in when serving.

No comments: